Friday, January 9, 2009

Christmas

We traveled to Utah for Christmas & were able to see most of our family members. I won't say I'm a bad mother because I didn't get any pictures of Christmas morning. I'll just admit to being a bit preoccupied with watching Lance & his cousin Kendra open presents. They didn't understand a thing about Santa, but they both were pretty excited to discover presents left by Santa & open more presents.
The next day Grandpa got the four-wheeler out to pull the kids in the big sled. This was the most fun Lance has ever had in the snow. He still doesn't want to touch it or even walk in it, but the sled kept him out of it & seemed to be a big hit.
David being pulled in the sled with Emma, Gauge, Lance, and Kendra
Lance riding on the back of the four wheeler in what my dad calls the "Queen" seat
Brother-in-law Nick, David, & brother Russell doing "guy" things (brother-in-law Dustin, and my dad were helping also but not pictured--seriously, how many guys does it take to fix Old Blue?)
We didn't get to spend much time with David's parents, but we did get to see them, & I actually took some pictures of our "second" Christmas morning at their house. Lance had tons of fun playing with Grandma & Grandpa & Aunt Julie and being the center of attention--something he really enjoys.
Grandma with Lance and Luke
Lance opening presents with Grandma, Aunt Julie, and Grandpa
Goofball Lance--I wonder where he gets it? Hint: Daddy
Aunt Julie with Luke
Grandma with Luke
And here's a pretty good Daily Dose of David. So I was talking to David about my dad & his job (my daddy drives trains--choo choo!), and somehow the conversation got around to fuel for trains. Maybe I just assume that everybody know this (but pretty much everybody knows *eyeroll*), trains run on gasoline--diesel, in fact. When this fact comes out in the conversation, David breaks in with, "I thought trains ran on coal." I just sat there blinking, waiting for the joke. It didn't come, and David says, "No, seriously. I thought that is what your brother did for the railroad--shovel coal into the engine." More blinking. More waiting. Still no joke. And then came the laughter (my own laughter). David also had a good laugh after I told him that it's been a while since anyone had to shovel coal into the engine of a train. Now all I can imagine is my brother in overalls shoveling coal. This image still brings about giggling fits. (My brother, by the way, also drives the choo choo.)

13 comments:

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

I am doing a hip, hip hooray dance for the new blog. Loved the pics and loved the "Daily Dose of David." He's gotta make you smile everyday ;)

Alicia W. said...

Love the new family picture! The sledding I bet was a BLAST! Very cute pic's of the kids and family. :o) Have a wonderful weekend.

Melissa said...

You should write a weekly article called, 'Daily Dose of David'... I, for one, would be an avid reader! I'm picturing Russell shoveling coal 'Polar Express' style. Darling pics of your boys. I'm so sad we missed seeing you guys. Love you!

Crystal said...

how many men does it take? Seriously! & they give us a hard time about going to public restrooms together! MEN! Love the dose of David--what a funny man!

Nat Lud said...

So fun. Glad ya got to have some hometown time! Looks like everyone had fun!

Granny Annie said...

Just love your blog! The new background and heading is adorable!
All the family pictures and stories are great too! David is so special!...I think he should have been a history major! Loved the coal shoveling to make the trains run! Especial Russ, doing the shoveling! Actually, I remember something about that!hehe! We love seeing the darling little boys and all of you. The visit was great!
Keep the blogs coming....they are always so interesting! Rachel, you should keep a journal on David. He's pretty interesting and his stories might just sell someday for a big price! Who knows!
Love you!
Gram

Grandma 'D' said...

oh David, David, David...I sure do love him. He is so much fun. I love the daily dose thing. Keep em coming. We loved having you for Christmas and can't wait to see you again..And a huge thanks to david for fixing the bathtub faucet. He is reallly good at what he does..Love ya

Steph said...

Omg! I'm convulsing with laughter. He cracks me up! Cute pics, we loved seeing you guys and Gauge love playing with a friend his age and gender.

Steph said...

Omg! I'm convulsing with laughter. He cracks me up! Cute pics, we loved seeing you guys and Gauge love playing with a friend his age and gender.

young family said...

Couldn't Lances hat be the "King" hat :) Too funny. I think it is darling on him ;)

It sounds like you had a great Christmas, it is sooo much fun when the kids are little.

Love the daily dose. Seriously? He didn't know? Or does he just love to make you laugh? Too funny!!

Kristi said...

What a fun Christmas! That is funny that Lance doesn't like snow...Alexa can't get enough of it!...at least he found something he likes to do in it! You took great pictures of Christmas...cute kids!

Crystal said...

We had so much fun with you guys, even if it was short lived. Those boys are so so cute and I miss them already. We need to plan a Milford trip SOON so get thinkin'. Love ya!

Jeep and Nisha's Family said...

It is you who brings a smile to my face every time I read your blog. Christmas looked wonderful - what I could see of it anyway :) Also, I love the narration of your David stories. Examples: blink, wait for the joke, etc. Thanks, again for the smiles!