Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Potty Training...Sucks!

I'm sooooo tired of changing a gazillion diapers every day. We've tried potty training Lance, who will be 2 1/2 in just a couple days. He can hold it for HOURS (no kidding). We'll put him on the potty all day long, sometimes every 5 minutes. And wouldn't you know it...he pees in his underwear the second he's off the potty. This happens over & over & over. I get frustrated & go back to diapers for a couple days because I'm all worn out & tired of the fight. Go ahead & judge me. I know I shouldn't go backwards & go back to diapers, but whatever--what's done is done. I was pretty happy that we've never had a poopy underwear accident. Which is why I got brave & just said no more diapers.

Which brings me to yesterday. I'm really tired of Lance taking off his own diapers. I always freak out thinking that he could be taking off a poopy one & we'd have a big mess. So...I decided to just put up with the accidents & tantrums & just say no more diapers. We were accident free at about 10 am (but still no pee in the potty). I put Lance in the bathtub and ran to get Luke to bathe him as well. I was gone for mere seconds when I hear, "Mommmmy!" And then because I didn't respond quickly enough, "Wayshel!" Yes, he called me by my first name--little stinker! I rapidly return to the bathroom to find him standing in the tub and.....ewwwwww.....a couple floaters......so gross.....yes, poop in the bathtub. And Lance says to me, "Peed on da gwound." No son, Mom would actually be okay with pee on the ground. This is definitely not pee on the ground!

It took me a while to clean up the mess, re-bathe Lance, and disinfect the tub & every toy in it. While I was cleaning, Lance peed his pants. He brought me new underwear, we got him changed & everything cleaned up, and we both plopped down at the table--Lance for a snack, me for a break. Seconds, and I do mean seconds, later, he said, "Uh oh," and I followed his gaze to the chair where he was now squatting over a puddle. I crossed my fingers & silently pleaded, "Please let it be water, please..." nope, it was pee. I half sighed, half growled and resisted the urge to scream. By now I was praying that Lance would get tired very soon, so that I can put a diaper on him & put him down for a nap. I know, not the best move. Maybe Lance has a strategy. Maybe he knows he can wear me down if he has enough accidents. He had one more accident--on the suede couch--before nap time. And then I had a blissful 2 accident free hours while both boys slept.

I'll spare you the afternoon accident details and just jump forward to this morning when I got out of bed because Luke was awake & crying. Let me just say that I had no idea Lance was awake & up & about already. But as I walk down the hall to the boys' room, lo & behold there is a little toddler walking back into his bedroom. With sweat pants on his head and a bare butt. Where did this kid come from? I laughed for about half a second until I realized that his little naked bottom meant he had taken his diaper off. Hmmmm....and what was that I smelled? Oh yes, if you guessed poopy diaper you were right. He had taken his poopy diaper off & was in the process of finding some underwear & pants. And he must have been sidetracked by his own hilarity with his pants on his head and all.

Okay, now I am definitely POSITIVE that it is time! I have been trying not to make potty training an unpleasant experience for him, but whatever...that is all out the window now. Now all I'm thinking is that this kid better learn to use the potty soon!! And wouldn't you know it he pooped in his pants right away. So being the mean mom that I am, I made him sit on the little potty for about half an hour--him screaming the whole time. I knew he was holding it, and I also knew that his crying might distract him. And it worked!!! He was distracted enough that he began peeing. On me! But I was so darned excited that I didn't even care. I helped him aim, and we were both so pleased with the pee in the potty.

There was much clapping & dancing & hugging! And treats! He can have whatever he wants. I know I'm going a bit over board, but again...whatever. I am so thrilled that he peed in the potty. And now he's waking up from his nap, so we get to start all over again. Oh, the joys of potty training.

13 comments:

Nat Lud said...

Ew, makes me not even want to start trying! Ive been putting it off forever. I need to teach both babies to do it but it just does not sound fun at all! As long as they're trained by Kindergarten, right? ? ?

Melissa said...

Oh, Rachie... first of all, I was so excited about the new post that I almost peed my pants. It goes right along with the potty training, so it would be OK. Don't give up on the potty training. Neeley has pooped in the tub a hundred times. Well, maybe not a hundred, but once is too many. Just stick with it. It will get better, and then all of the pee and poop accident memories will slowly fade away.... until it's Luke's turn. May the force be with you.

Emma said...

But if you reward him for going potty on the potty wouldn't he want to do it more? I must admit that potty training deffinatley does NOT sound like fun at all!

Jeep and Nisha's Family said...

Thanks so much for sharing! It gives me comfort to know that I'm not the only one who has these problems. Everyone always tells me, "They'll go when they're ready." Whatever! They need pushed from parents, I think. Good luck with it! And dang... I heard boys were easier :(

Crystal said...

I'll make this short, Kendra's on my lap.....pee my pants hillarious! I would have reached for the diapers, my future is not looking bright. Good luck sis & remember - GOD LOVES YOU!!

Steph said...

Rachel you just described my day to a T! And I've been doing it for two months now. Russell keeps getting upset when he comes home in the middle of the day to find Gauge in a diaper, but all I can say to him is, I need a break and you have no idea what I deal with all day. Gauge will actually go pee when I put him on the potty but he won't tell me himself when he needs to go. It's still not getting any better and I finally broke down and ordered that book you told me about. Hope it works. Good luck to you and tell me if you have any break throughs!

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

I was cheering when I got to the part where he started peeing...who cares if it was on you ;) Just keep at it. It will get worse, then better, then finally the kid will be trained. You can't expect too much from the little guy. I mean, I peed my pants the whole time I was prego w/ Roni.

Granny Annie said...

Oh Rachel...you make me think back when I had five children and raised a couple of little grandkids too. I had the neatest pediatrician with my first child and listened to him.
He told me you will know when they are ready. They are all different. He told me we aren't training them if they are not ready. We are training ourselves, and if it isn't working, back off a little while, then start again.....he told me they love the attention they get when they go in their pants...so to not make a big thing over it. Show as little emotion as possible (hard to do!) But, when they go really make a big thing out of it and really reward them and they will remember it.
I don't believe any of our kids were the same and at different ages....and for the floaters, we had some of those too!
I truly believe what he told me. "We are training ourselves". It's okay to put the diaper back on for awhile, or pull-ups work really good too.
Good Luck!
Love ya!
Gram

young family said...

I just had to laugh, I had heard boys were easier too? UMMM not my boy ;) Tayler would only poop his pants never pee, so one time after months and months of it I made him clean up the whole mess, and guess what he didn't like it and guess what he potty trained himself! Finally, he was 3 though. Little miss Emma must have seen too much yelling and crying from Talyer and decided to potty train herself right after Tayler. I think girls are easiere in that aspect ;)

Hang in there, someday you will be like me and look back and say, I think this is what I did :)

Grandma 'D' said...

Glad I am not you!!! Hilarious..you should write a book about potty training experiences. I think people would buy it. He is sure a little smarty isn't he?
Just want to say what a wonderful mommy you are Rachel, don't give up. And you will definately look back and be sad because that part of your life is over forever. So, savor those moments, poop, pee whatever they may be!

Lindsay Cheney said...

That is the funniest post I have read in a long time. Dylan wasn't all the way potty trained until about 3 1/2. He was so hard to deal with! We also had many floaters- that has to be the worst thing to clean up ever!
Keep your chin up. It will happen!
Lindsay Cheney

Jewels Rules said...

oh my goodness I haven't laughed that much in awhile.. That cracked me up.. You have such crazy kids and I love every bit of them.. He is such a little stinker I can only imagine all the stuff you have to put up with. I'm glad I get to hear about it though because it keeps me entertained.

Crystal said...

Oh Rachel! You've convinced me, Rhett will NOT be potty trained, I'm serious, and DON"T JUDGE ME!!!