Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pumpkin Patch

Yesterday we went to Idaho Falls to take Lance to a pumpkin patch there. Getting there was quite an adventure. We searched for it for a while, had to stop for lunch, & then searched some more. We were about to give up & go home when David finally started listening to me. He's worse than a kid--he can apparently answer my questions all the while not paying attention to anything I'm actually saying. The one thing I knew about the location of the patch is that it is across the street from the camels. So when we first started looking for it I asked David, "Do you know where the camels are?" David's response, "What?! What are you talking about? What camels?" (imagine a very exasperated, loud, frustrated tone) :) Much, much later I tell David that the patch is on Rollandet, & he says, "I know where that road is. It's where the camels are." And he was serious--he really knew about that road & the camels--we drove right to them. I wanted to choke him. In his defense he says, "I didn't know which camels you were talking about." Oh, you thought I meant the other camels. As if they are all over the place.

We did make it to the pumpkin patch, & we all had fun. There was a cute little hay bale maze for little kids. Lance liked it, but didn't get far before he was confused. He finally found a low spot & crawled over it & out of the maze. Mostly he spent his time running around & throwing pumpkins. Lance didn't really care that we got a couple pumpkins, but maybe he'll like them carved & lit up. Or...he'll just like throwing them. Such a boy--run around, throw things, make some noise, & get dirty.
Here he is running all over the patch.
























After some confustion in the maze, Lance sat down for a little break before breaking out.
Lance & Daddy in the maze.










If you look closely, you can see Lance in the maze (center of photo).

Oh, and here is the camel. It's actually a small zoo, & we're going back to visit next week. :)
Today David asked, "Do you think a camels hump is like a whale's fin, & they flop over in captivity?" I asked, "Do you know what a camel's hump is for?" David answered, "To ride on." I laughed & laughed. But he was serious. More laughter.

P.S. The hump stores fat (not water), and it droops over when food is scarce & the fat is used--we looked it up.

11 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm not sure who is more amusing - Lance or David? Anywho - your blog is one of my favorites, I always have to read them out loud to Nick so we can laugh together.

Grandma 'D' said...

Always an adventure with the Shelley family. You gotta give David a little credit. He did find those one camels!!!! You know, those ones? Anyway, glad you are having some fun. Keep it up..and keep blogging. Give the kids kisses for me!!! And smooshie hugs.

Grandma 'D' said...

Oh yea, maybe that is why my humps, or bumps are drooping....lack of food!

Melissa said...

FUNNNNNY! I just had to read this outloud to Brian. I just keep picturing camels running wild in the streets of Idaho Falls. Even funnier!

Granny Annie said...

Grandpa Swede and I got a real kick out of your adventure. It makes us think back when we use to go through these kind of fun stuff! (with grandpa, like David, there was never a dull
moment ever!)..Makes for great memories to cherish and much laughter! KEEP A BOOK OF THESE MEMORIES! They are priceless!

Kelli said...

Wow, that looks like fun! It sounds like Mike and David both have problems listening to their very smart wives! I could see this situation happening with us for sure.

kariboukim said...

Rachel,
They never listen. I have one of my own. I feel your pain.
Kim

Nat Lud said...

Man, that the the one thing Cedar City is missing--camels. :) Looks like a fun time!

Jeep and Nisha's Family said...

So many words to describe your blog - funny, entertaining, well-written, informative, and educational. I learned that camels store fat not water, and that other husbands are like mine. It's good to know.

Jenny said...

Who knew there are camels in Idaho Falls? I will have to check that out. I know what you mean about getting lost there, and have done that before with about 2 feet of snow all over the roads, about a year ago. Looks like once you found it you had such a great time! How did the pumpkins turn out?

happy mom said...

I need to post our adventures, men, do they ever listen to us? lance is a doll!