Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sleepless in Rexburg

When I had Lance I bragged to everyone about what a wonderful sleeper he was. He slept through the night from day one. He took nice long naps (usually more than one a day), he went to bed early & easily, & woke up in the late morning. Now I have this new little one who is always VERY awake. He doesn't sleep more than a couple hours at a time (which isn't abnormal--I'm just not used to it). And he thinks that he should stay up until 2 or 3 am...and needs company while he's awake. To top it off, Lance now thinks that he doesn't need to sleep--ever. We can't keep him in bed, he won't sleep in his bed or ours, & he screams like he is really hurt when we put him to bed. This screaming lasts for-ev-er! He kept us up until 4 am a couple nights ago & then woke up at 7:30 & wouldn't take a nap that day. I keep thinking he'll get tired enough to finally sleep. Who knows--maybe all the sleep he's gotten in the past two years is enough to hold him over for the next couple years. Tonight he finally went to bed around 12:30 am. So I was thinking I was actually getting to go to bed early..................and here I sit bouncing baby Luke on my lap & blogging. Guess he doesn't know that mama needs sleep!

Here I am, a grouchy, frustrated mama--cleaning the house when I want to be sleeping, & then I find Lance's shoes filled with his crayons. It made me smile. :)

13 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm up all night because I'm so fat and can't move! And I'm stressed that I'm not ready for another baby. I guess that's just nature's way to prepare me for my sleepless nights to come. Maybe we should start a club. :) Loving the shoes!!

Steph said...

Sounds like Lance has turned into Gauge. He slept well as a baby but now he won't take naps or go to bed at night and between him and Emma i get woken up like 8 times a night. So good luck in the future.

Granny Annie said...

Oh my goodness! Grandpa and I say "the kids that don't need sleep are going to be very smart!" As I think back...raising 5. Take them outside. Let Lance just run and run. It will use up some energy and he will probably be ready for bed! The fresh air will be good for baby Luke too! Won't hurt to try it! (of course you will be even more tired and ready for bed too!)
Love the crayons in the shoes...how cute!
Well, "sleepless in Rexburg"...
Pray for sleep!
We love you all so much and miss you!
Hugs and kisses!
Gram

Crystal said...

All I have is sympathy--The "no sleep" is the worst part about having babies I think. It's just so frustrating! I hope tonight is better--best wishes on some serious z's :)

happy mom said...

not to take your hope of the future away, but I still get up at night with my kids, mainly always amanda (my bad sleeper) maybe it is a 2nd child thing. last night I was up with amanda then sam with a nightmare, then josie up at 5:00 am and then she woke Amanda at 5:30 am.

so far I haven't gotten a full nights sleep in years! I feel your pain. good luck with it!

Crystal said...

RACHEL RACHEL RACHEL, DO I NEED TO COME TO YOUR HOUSE FOR AN INTERVENTION? REMEMBER WHEN YOU PUT ME THROUGH "BABY SLEEPING BOOTCAMP". I THINK YOUR TURNING INTO AN OLD SOFTY. HMMMMM......

Crystal said...

OH AND THE CRAYONS IN THE SHOES.....HOW CUTE IS THAT?

young family said...

Wow, no sleep is always hard. It is a darn good thing you can blog when your children won't let you sleep, and it all makes sense so you are not to sleep deprived yet ;) There were times when my kids were little that I swear I couldn't say a complete sentence.

It does get better, and then you will get all the sleep you want (ha ha ha) if you don't worry about what your teenagers are doing ;) Man kids are fun :)

Grandma 'D' said...

I would comment, but I am going to take a nap!!!!!!!!! Just kidding. It will get better. Kids are a lot like us and they just aren't tired. And then they sleep for hours. They aren't very predictable. Lance has been such a good sleeper, that he has figured our when you are awake there are a lot of things to explore, experience, and just get into. This too shall pass. Hang in there. As for Luke, I don't know what to tell you. We put Nils in his own bed about eight times during the night. He finally grew out of it at about 3. Good Luck, and take a nap when you can Luv ya.......yo Momma

Granny Annie said...

Back again!...I have to tell you I would lay down with my kids so they would take a nap...I would fall asleep and they would very quietly get up and run around until I would hear them and would wake me up! Guess, the Mom is the most tired huh?

Nat Lud said...

So sorry he's not sleeping! That is hard on a mama who has to be awake to take care of another kid too! Hopefully he'll get a snooze attack soon! He is just the cutest little thing--looks like a little grown-up already!

Granny Annie said...

Funny how the little things make it all worth it...like shoes filled with crayons. Our sleep solution: By a really expensive bunk bed that your little boy thinks is so awesome that he is bound to sleep through the night. All I can say is we've got a lot to learn ;) Love ya, sister

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

Okay, the previous comment from Granny Annie is really me Lynette. I helped Grams change her background and forgot to sign out. Now I have to go back to every site I just commented on and clarify as many do not know a Granny Annie :)